Sleep Apnea Symptoms
Sleep Apnea Treatment in Columbia
The first step in overcoming sleep apnea is determining whether you actually suffer from the condition. Many people do not think of snoring as a sign of something potentially serious, and not everyone who has sleep apnea snores. Although snoring may be the first sign of sleep apnea, be sure to speak with our dentist to discuss any other symptoms that may be associated with sleep apnea.
If you think you may have sleep apnea, consider the following symptoms:
- Loud snoring that lasts all night
- Daytime sleepiness no matter how much sleep you get
- Feeling tired and out of breath upon waking
- Morning headaches
- Gasping or choking while sleeping
- Pauses in breathing while sleeping
The cause of obstructive sleep apnea has everything to do with the airway: specifically whether it is free of blockage when a person lies down to sleep. Airway blockage can be caused by:
- Poor posture when sleeping
- Spinal column problems
- Enlarged tongue, tonsils, and/or adenoids
- Fat deposits in the neck and throat from being overweight
Contact our office for more information.